Quick Bit

United States
UNC Alum, Ex-O Lineman with a different look on the state of College Football Follow me on Twitter @FootbawFrat for my sporadic thoughts throughout the day

Thursday, November 19, 2015

Hokie Born, Hokie and Tar Heel Bred

When the news broke of Coach Frank Beamer retiring at the end of the 2015 season it knocked me on my ass. The college football world will be losing a great ambassador of the game. An ambassador who took his Alma mater with little tradition, little money and little support, and made them a national brand. Frank Beamer wasn't just a Football Coach. He help put Virginia Tech the Football Program , The School, and The Culture on the map. Everything I’ve known and loved about college football can be credited to what Coach Beamer did In Blacksburg. Many of you may wonder “where the hell is this coming from?” Here's my journey:

I grew up a Hokie.

As the son of two Hokie grads, brother to a student, cousin of grads, and nephew of several aunts and uncles who are also VT grads (and many many friends), I didn't stand a chance rooting for a different football team. My childhood is filled with memories of packing up on Football Saturday mornings and shipping off to Blacksburg. Even when my (very nostalgic) High School career was at it's peak, I still remember vividly the following schedule:

  • Saturday Morning Game Film started at 7am
  • Position Meetings at 7:45am, 
  • Family showed up at 8:15am with the car packed and then it was Gameday Driving (read:speeding) to Blacksburg. 
  • We'd pull into town on two wheels arriving to already decked out spread joining our Tailgate Crew; who we'd done this with many times before. 
Gamedays became mini family reunions. Like many, all I could think about during the school week was about the upcoming Tech Game. But little did I know, a college tour and an acceptance to my long shot school, would change my wardrobe from Chicago Maroon and Orange to Carolina Blue. 

This photo was taken exactly one week before I received my acceptance letter from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. My Dad, Little Bother and I watched Virginia Tech blow a 3 score second half lead to a Freshman Matthew Stafford led UGA squad in the 2006 Peach Bowl. We were not thrilled. Sorry, Lil Bro for the for the awkward photo. Needless to say we've aged very well. (I also like to think I've improved as a writer)

I had zero clue what to expect over the next 9 months. Following the release of the ACC Football schedule I discovered very quickly my allegiance would be put to the test early. The schedule revealeved Virginia Tech hosted Carolina in the ACC opener. I knew I one thing was sure, even though I was headed to a basketball school, I wasn't about to lose my love for college football. Not in 2007. Not in 2015. Not ever.

When I arrived in Chapel Hill, I made sure I never lost that enthusiasm. I've said before, I was lucky enough to find an outlet to exude that passion, that craziness, and that obsession. During that first test of solidarity, I watch Ryan Houston fumble in the red zone and Carolina sputtered to a 17-10 defeat. While that game didn't end like many Tar Heels would have hoped, it was clear, the team would battle. The same was true with my fandom. While it my first experience at Lane Stadium/Worsham Field not rocking Hokie Apparel, I enjoyed being back in Lane. I finally was able to experience what many have claimed; Lane Stadium and the Hokie Nation are most hospitable crowds in College Football. While the game environment can be deafening, the fan base will shake your hand and drink a cold beer with you afterwards; regardless of the outcome. 
During those four years of college, I watched from a distance at the most successful runs a football program's had since the ACC expanded to 12 teams. During those 4 football seasons in Chapel HillI watched Frank Beamer and his Hokie Squad go 3-1 against my Heels with the one win coming in the only game I didn't attend. I also watched Beamer and Co. hoist 3 ACC Championships and head to BCS games 4 out of 5 seasons. Even at a basketball school that had it's own unprecedented run from 2005-2012, I watched with envy. I desperately want Carolina to win an ACC title. After watching the likes of Georgia Tech, Maryland and Wake Forest doing so, it's long overdue that Carolina goes out and nabs the title in 2015.

Since moving to Pittsburgh over 3 years ago, I've had to follow my beloved Tar Heels and secondary support for Virginia Tech at a distance. While Pitt joining the ACC has added the coverage my Heels get on the screen, it hurts that I can't make it to Chapel Hill 6 or 7 Fall Saturdays every year.  I created this blog fresh out of school as a conduit to keep my love for college football alive and the share with my friends and followers. In the 5 seasons I've written my musings on college football I'd like to think this outlet has grown and has become respected for what it is: An insightful and informative,yet sarcastic and comedic look at college football with a Carolina Bias. While I know that I'm not cranking out Pulitzer worthy articles every time these fingers hit the keyboard,  I hope the followers have enjoyed this deal as much as I've enjoyed sharing.

This Saturday will be a very emotional game, not only for the players involved, the fans in the stadium, but also for our family. The week my family calls the hardest week of the year couldn't have a better setting that Beamer's last home game.. There will be no shortage of nostalgia, no shortage of tailgating and no shortage of memories. When Beamer took the job at his Alma mater back in 1987, I don't think anyone had clue what he would create, not even himself. Him referencing, in his retirement announcement, about how fortunate he has been to be surrounded by the family, the staff and the players is who Beamer is: He's incredibly humble and cares more about others than himself. He created the Hokie Football Family; a family that extends beyond the packed locker room before and after ball games. He helped foster a fan base and a group of alumni that will travel from one edge of the country to other to watch his program play. His fan base fills Lane Stadium whether the team's 5-5 or 10-0. His emphasis on the Southwestern VA principles of hard work, surrounding yourself with the right people, playing with a edge and setting out to prove doubters wrong are themes I try to live with. I consider myself very fortunate to have attended his summer camp and to have experienced many Football Saturdays in Blacksburg. Those principles are why my Hokie Family always welcomes me back with opened arms even if I show up covered in a divisional rival's colors. 

Games like Saturday's always bring back a whirlwind of nostalgia...

Watching the 1995 Sugar Bowl.


Raising my hand back in November of 1999
"How many of ya, will I see in New Orleans?"

Re-Living The Walk and The Terror Dome in 2003



Remembering Tyrod pull off a miracle.
"He did it, Mikey! Tyrod Did It!"

Curb stomping a rival: 38-0, bro.



 Thank you, Coach Beamer, for the many memories both mentioned and unmentioned. I'll never forget how the program you built sponsors the college football fire that flows through my veins. I truly look forward to experiencing another Football Saturday in Blacksburg this upcoming weekend (and beyond) with my extended Hokie Family; even if I'm rooting for your opponent. Mom and Dad, Lil Bro and Lil Sis, Mama Syl and Daddy Bill, The extended Patterson Bros, Hughbie + A, Laura and Ames, Uncle Cool + J Bird and T, Cousin Chris and His Goons, Mister B and Fam, Strong and the Richmond Crowd  and anyone else I missed; Can't wait to see y'all on Chicken Hill bright and early Saturday. GO HEELS!

No comments:

Post a Comment